This fall favorite pineapple chili is sweet & spicy, paleo and whole 30 friendly, so flavorful and comes together quickly, all in one pot. It’s also paleo, gluten free, egg free.. no dairy unless you want to add cheese or sour cream on top.
I wouldn’t typically reach for pineapple when making chili, but a friend shared this recipe with me nearly 10 years ago and I’be been making it every since. Typically the first cooler, fall-ish feeling day where the breeze makes me crave crunchy leaves falling on the ground, I will make this. And then it stays in rotation at least 1-2x a month through the winter.
I have made this one the stove, in a slow cooker and in the instant-pot, which is my go-to the past couple years. It would also be amazing camping, in a dutch oven over a fire while you sit nearby in a blanket sipping on hot apple cider – just sounds cozy doesn’t it?
This recipe takes about 15 minutes of prep then you let the flavors melt together and your house will smell delicious! Feel free to adjust the amount of onion/bell peppers and either omit the jalepenos and red chili flakes if you do not want it spicy, or double the jalepeno if you like things spicier. One jalepeno with the red chili flakes typically gives this a mild-medium heat.
Don’t skimp on the onion or garlic. I’ve made it with and without bacon, but I love the flavor the bacon imparts. Chili powder gives it depth, not heat. and the fire roasted tomatoes are worth adding to your list, regular diced tomatoes are not the same flavor.
I typically double this recipe – like salsa, it typically tastes even better the second day when the flavors meld together a little more. Leftovers you will want to eat.
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 1 pound cooked bacon, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onions, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced (seeds optional)
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 20-ounce can of diced pineapple
- 1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 14-ounce can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat a large heavy bottomed soup pot or turn your Instant Pot to Saute setting. Brown your strips of bacon if not yet cooked, then remove from pan to paper towels to cool. Then brown the ground beef, adding in onions.
- Add the bell peppers, jalepeno, minced garlic, pineapple with juice, tomato sauce, fire roasted tomatoes and the diced bacon to the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper and red chili flakes if using. Stir once again to combine well. No need to add broth or water.
- On the stovetop, cook on medium-low, simmer for 45 minutes until peppers are soft and soup heated through.
- In the Instant Pot, cover & close vent. Cook on Manual > Normal or Soup/Stew for 30 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like avocado, shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream, pickled red onions or even Elote chips (a fave over here).
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Tag me on instagram when you try it, it seriously makes my day! Be sure to check out my other recipes here.
Save & Pin this Recipe for later!